CREECA affiliates–from students to Wisconsin Russia Project postdoctoral scholars to university faculty and staff–have been gathering to protest the Russian invasion of Ukraine and show support for the people of Ukraine.
A student-led protest took place on February 24 at the top of Bascom Hill and was covered by several news outlets:
- “‘Absolutely inhumane’: Russian, Ukrainian students at UW-Madison protest Putin’s invasion of Ukraine” – Wisconsin Public Radio
- “Protestors gather on Bascom to protest Russian invasion of Ukraine” – The Daily Cardinal
- “Russian invasion shocks, worries Ukrainians in Madison” – Wisconsin State Journal
- “Russian and Ukrainian Students Protest Putin’s Invasion of Ukraine” – UW-Madison Department of Sociology
Following the February 24 rally, CREECA director Ted Gerber moderated an open discussion among UW-Madison community members and faculty members who made introductory remarks on the assault on Ukraine. Faculty, staff, and students then proceeded to ask questions, air their views, and process the events of the past 24 hours together.
And at protests on February 26 and March 5, hundreds of individuals condemned Putin’s war on Ukraine and stood in solidarity with the Ukrainian people at the Wisconsin state Capitol in downtown Madison. Local news outlets also reported on the rallies and amplified the voices of individuals from the UW-Madison community with ties to Russia and Ukraine:
- “Ukraine supporters rally at Wisconsin Capitol” – WMTV / NBC 15
- “Hundreds rally support for Ukraine at Wisconsin State Capitol” – Spectrum News 1
- “Pro-Ukraine demonstrators rally at Capitol” – 27 ABC KAOW
- “Wisconsin demonstrators express solidarity with Ukrainians, outrage at Russian invasion” – PBS Wisconsin
- “Rally in downtown Madison voices support for Ukraine” – WMTV / NBC 15
- “Rallies supporting Ukraine continue outside Wisconsin State Capitol” – Channel 3000
- “Ukraine holding back Russian attacks, DNR volunteering, Bias in Ukraine coverage” – Wisconsin Public Radio’s Central Time
By Ryan Goble | Communications Project Assistant | CREECA