Undergraduate Certificate in REECAS
The Undergraduate Certificate in Russian, East European, and Central Asian Studies (REECAS) allows students to gain knowledge of the societies and cultures of the region, drawing on many disciplines, including film studies, geography, history, literature, political science, sociology, theater, and drama. The REECAS certificate can be a valuable addition to any major and demonstrates sustained interest and expertise in the region. Although at least two years of language study is strongly advised, there is no language requirement and language courses do not count towards the REECAS certificate. Link to official listing in the Undergraduate Guide can be found here.
*Please note: the REECAS certificate can be combined with any major except for the Russian Language and Civilization major. The certificate can be combined with all other Slavic majors (within GNS+), including Russian Language and Literature, Russian for Native Speakers, and the Polish major.
- Fulfill the requirements for a B.S. or B.A. degree in an established major in a school or college of the university.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 in all courses taken for the certificate.
- Successfully complete seven REECAS-related courses* as follows:
- One interdisciplinary survey course (Group I). Please note that Group I courses are typically only offered in the spring.
- Three courses in history and the social sciences in at least two different departments (Group II).
- Three courses in literature and the arts (Group III).
- Complete a certificate declaration form with the certificate advisor in 331 Ingraham Hall.
Students are encouraged to consult with the certificate advisor and declare the certificate early on in their college careers in order to select an academically focused group of courses.
* For courses to count towards the REECAS certificate, at least 25% of the content must be related to the regions of Eastern and Central Europe, Russia, Eurasia, and/or Central Asia. For pre-approved courses, check out the undergraduate course list to the right.
If you have questions about any of these requirements, or whether a course may count towards the REECAS certificate, contact Sarah Linkert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Declare
Meet with the REECAS certificate advisor and complete a declaration form. To schedule an appointment, contact Lindsey Bliefernicht or visit virtual office hours: