Apply by Wednesday, May 8
The Language Institute invites applications from graduate students for a student hourly position to staff the UW-Madison Languages table at the Summer Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) resource fair. The individual in this position will communicate information about language study at UW-Madison to incoming students and their parents or guests, as well as speak generally about the value of learning languages.
Specific duties will include:
• Work with another student staff member to set, staff and maintain the UW-Madison Languages table at SOAR resource fair, which takes place from 11:00-1:00 pm outside at Union South weekly throughout the summer
• Advocate for language study through effective oral communications and with the aid of printed materials and online resources provided by the Language Institute
• Respond to questions from students and parents about language offerings and related opportunities at UW-Madison.
• Make referrals to departments and to the language consultant at SOAR, when appropriate.
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Excitement for promoting language study and connecting it to undergraduate students’ personal and professional goals
• Experience with teaching a language other than English at UW-Madison
Dates and times: Approximately two hours each SOAR date listed below. Applicants
should be available for all or most dates.
Two hours of training in advance of the start of SOAR (late May) will be required.
Hourly rate: $15
Approximate total number of hours (including training and daily setup/takedown): 84
To apply, by Wednesday, May 8 at 12:00pm, please send a CV/Resume and short
statement of interest to Kaitlin Koehler, Language Institute International Directions
Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.