The Faculty of Economics at the University of Bremen invites candidates to apply for the following position in the research group “Diginomics”, to be filled as soon as possible:
Research Fellow (Postdoc) – salary 13 TV-L (100% full time)
The appointment is for a period of three years and will be filled subject to regulatory approval.
The employment is fixed-term and governed by the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract, §2 I (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG). Therefore, candidates may only be considered for appointment if they still have the respective qualification periods available in accordance with § 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
Field of Activity:
The postdoc position will be situated within the project “Innovation, Digitalization, and Authoritarian Political Systems”, which is led by Professors Torben Klarl and Michael Rochlitz, as part of the Diginomics research group (https://www.uni-bremen.de/en/diginomics-research-group). The project focuses on the relationship between innovation in the field of digital technologies, and authoritarian political systems. How do innovation systems work in authoritarian states, and what is the overall economic connection between innovation and digital surveillance? What is the influence of digital control and authoritarian politics on technology transfer, spillovers, and joint ventures in the field of digital technologies? And what are the economic, political, and ethical implications for actors in democratic states that are working with partners in authoritarian political systems? Based on a number of newly developed general equilibrium models, we study these questions with the help of laboratory experiments in the recently funded BreLAB of Bremen University, as well as empirical research in Russia and China.
- Active participation in research projects within the research group, with the aim to publish research papers in high-impact, peer-reviewed international journals
- Participation in scientific conferences
- Help with logistical and organizational tasks related to the project and the research group
- Logistical support of the research group
- A limited amount of teaching (2 hours / week)
- An above-average PhD degree in economics, political science, or a related field
- Excellent research skills in quantitative empirical methods, esp. econometrics and experimental methods, additional qualitative research skills are a plus
- Strong interest in research questions related to the above described project
- Excellent English language skills (German language skills are not required, but are an additional asset)
- Language skills related to the research project (Russian, Chinese…) are a plus
- Scientific curiosity and the ability to work in a team
What we offer:
- Employment contract for 3 years
- Possibility of independent research for a “habilitation” degree
- Becoming part of a team of young and motivated international researchers
- Participation in scientific workshops and international conferences
- Help with establishing an international network (with a specific focus on, but not limited to, Russia and China), as well as integration into existing international research networks (for example the International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development at HSE Moscow, https://iims.hse.ru/en/csid/)
- Close institutional cooperation with the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS), as well as the Research Centre for East European Studies at the University of Bremen
- Posibility of further training in the field of social science research methods
As the University of Bremen intends to increase the proportion of female employees in science, women are particularly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualification, disabled persons will be given priority. International applications, as well as applications of academics with a migration background, are explicitly welcome.
Application and Important Dates:
Please send your application (one pdf file) with all necessary information (letter of motivation, CV, certificates, etc.) and a version of your final thesis and, if available, already published research papers until July 20th, 2020 per Email to email@example.com with firstname.lastname@example.org in Cc (Prof. Dr. Michael Rochlitz, Professur für VWL, insbesondere Institutioneller Wandel, https://www.uni-bremen.de/en/institutions/team/prof-dr-michael-rochlitz/). For any additional questions or points of clarification, do not hesitate to contact us.