The Graduate Organization for the Study of Europe and Central Asia (GOSECA) at the University of
Pittsburgh invites graduate students from various disciplines to participate in our annual conference. This year’s theme aims to explore the multifaceted and dynamic nature of the East European and Eurasian region, a crossroads where East meets West. We encourage scholars to unravel the intricate web of cultures, politics, economies, and more that intersect in this region, fostering a deeper understanding of its complexity. We welcome proposals for individual paper presentations that examine the East European and Eurasian region from diverse disciplinary perspectives.
Submissions should align with the theme and may address topics like:
- How does the interplay between Eastern and Western influences shape cultural identities in the region?
- What are the political dynamics at the intersection of East and West, and how do they influence the
- What role does the region play in global trade, and what economic challenges and opportunities emerge at the crossroads of East and West?
- How have historical events and legacies contributed to the unique positioning of the region as a bridge between cultures?
- How do languages and communication strategies shape interaction and understanding in the region?
- How does the region’s religious diversity influence social and political dynamics?
- How do environmental issues and conservation efforts transcend national boundaries in the region?
- In what ways does the region contribute to global trends in technology, business, and innovation?
Comparative or interdisciplinary research is also accepted.
Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM EST on November 17th, 2023.
Intended Format: In-person with one virtual panel; housing and food will be covered for all in-person participants.
Please submit an abstract (300 words or less) and a CV (max 2 pgs) with the subject line
“GOSECA Conference Proposal” to email@example.com.
Accepted papers will be notified by December 15th, 2023.
Contact GOSECA at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions