The Central Eurasian Studies Society (CESS) seeks a part-time, remote working Administrative Coordinator commencing January 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Administrative Coordinator reports to a three-person Executive Committee/CESS Board of Directors and works closely with the Treasurer (a volunteer) and a part-time Administrative & Communications Assistant. The Administrative Coordinator plays the central coordinating role for CESS and is the Society’s primary point of contact.
The role has four key areas of responsibility:
- Membership: Respond to member inquiries; process new and renewal memberships; manage membership form and information in the membership system; oversee process of annual membership fee review; produce membership reports.
- Conferences (Annual Conference in the US; biannual Regional Conferences in Central Eurasia): Oversee proposal submission process including creating submission form, sharing information, handling inquiries, updating conference system; support the creation of the program; set up and manage conference registration; run an on-site registration desk at the Annual Conference; maintain communications with conference host; support conference committee; produce conference reports.
- Financial Administration: Produce annual budget and quarterly income & expenditure reports (with support from the Treasurer and Assistant); support the Treasurer/Assistant with the annual IRS tax return; review and propose improvements to financial procedures; manage payments.
- Society administration: Respond to emails; keep website up to date; coordinate annual Board elections; distribute news and announcements to the CESS mailing lists; support all CESS committees; liaise with partner journal publishers; manage relationship with NomadIT (membership/conference system provider); maintain CESS’ electronic files including the annual calendar; provide information to the Board as requested; participate as an ex officio member in Board meetings.
In addition, the Administrative Coordinator manages an ongoing Open Society Foundation grant, for which an additional fee is payable.
Essential selection criteria
- Excellent written and spoken English language communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team player
- Extremely well organized
- Technologically literate and able to learn new systems/software rapidly
- Experience of remote working
- Confident managing budgets and financial information
- Demonstrable interest in/experience of Central Eurasia
Desirable selection criteria
- Education, research, or scholarship in a field related to Central Eurasia
- Experience of conference organization
- Experience using WordPress
- Experience working with volunteers / a volunteer Board of Directors
- Based permanently and with the right to work in the United States
Hours & Salary: The workload varies from week to week, averaging about 30 hours/month, and may exceed this average during the month of the Annual Conference, usually in October. Assuming an initial rate of US$25/hour, monthly remuneration averages US$750. If the workload requires significantly more than 30 hours/month, additional hours will be paid at the same hourly rate, subject to mutual agreement. The Administrative Coordinator’s travel to and accommodation at CESS’ Annual Conferences (which rotate between North American host universities) are reimbursed based on actual costs.
Terms and conditions: The Administrative Coordinator, an independent contractor, is responsible for their own IRS tax reporting requirements. The contract, following successful completion of a six-month probationary period, will be initially for two years, renewable by mutual agreement.
Application process: Interested candidates should email a 2-page CV and 1-2 page covering letter that explains, with examples, how they satisfy the above selection criteria to email@example.com by December 21, 2020. Covering letters should include the names and contact details of at least two people who can provide a personal and professional reference.