Participating area and international studies centers of the Institute for Regional and International Studies are each awarding $1,000 to the best paper/s written by an undergraduate and focused on their respective world regions.
You must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at UW-Madison.
The paper must be/have been submitted to fulfill a UW-Madison course or thesis requirement during the 2018-2019 academic year (Fall 2018 & Spring 2019 terms).
Submissions must substantially address issues related to the world region of the center you are submitting to; papers submitted to the Institute for Regional and International Studies should have a trans-regional focus.
You can submit any particular paper to only one center; however, you may submit multiple papers (to multiple centers).
- Center for Russia, East Europe, and Central Asia – papers written in English only; papers must be minimum 10 pages, maximum 30 pages; multimedia projects accepted
Awards will be disbursed through the Bursar’s scholarship system before the end of the current academic year.
All AY 2018-2019 submissions must be submitted by 10am on May 1, 2019.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PAPER
To submit a paper, send the following by email as a single pdf document to the IRIS Awards Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover page including all the following information:
- UW email address
- Campus ID number
- Anticipated graduation date
- Center to which you are submitting
- Title of your paper
- Course name and number and term taken (or indicate thesis & degree program)
- Name & email address of course instructor (or thesis advisor)
- Word count of submission (including footnotes but not bibliography)
- 100 word abstract of paper and its significance
2. The paper itself
Email Mark Lilleleht @ email@example.com or call 608.265.6070.