The University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (REEES) seeks an Academic Advisor who will also fulfill the role of Program Coordinator and NewsNet Editor for the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
As the Academic Advisor, the staff member will be responsible for:
• advising students seeking to complete the requirements for the undergraduate and graduate Certificates in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, as well as the undergraduate Related Concentration in European and Eurasian Studies
• advertising REEES academic credentials and programs at academic fairs, marketplaces for new and prospective students, and additional events throughout the year
• hiring and supervising REEES undergraduate ambassadors and language tutors
• collaborating with academic advisors from the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and the professional schools to promote courses, events, and other key activities among students as relevant to successful grant applications
• participating in the assessment of teaching and learning
• creating and/or updating all certificate and advising related advertising and websites, approved course lists, and resource lists for students
• running all aspects of the AY undergrad and grad FLAS award competition
• organizing and implementing student co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, such as a pre-professional trip to Washington DC
• serving as the faculty advisor to the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium and Graduate Organization for the Study of Europe and Central Asia (GOSECA) conferences
• administering the center’s undergraduate scholarships and issuing REEES tuition remission funds
• managing the Center’s student database
• serving students at the Pitt Global Hub
• collaborating with colleagues on the UCIS Academic Affairs committee, including serving on the Assessment Subcommittee to contribute to the refinement of the new Suitable Platform and the future Global Credential.
As the ASEEES Program Coordinator and NewsNet Editor, the staff member will be responsible for:
• coordinating ASEEES fellowship/grant programs and other member programs, as assigned
• serving as the editor of the ASEEES newsletter, NewsNet
The REEES Academic Advisor/ASEEES Program Coordinator and NewsNet Editor deals with confidential information, interacts with all levels of the organization (students, faculty, administrators, staff) and the general public. Occasional weeknight and weekend hours required.
This is a full-time position, operating at 100% (37.5 hours per week) out of which 60% effort are committed to fulfilling the roles of the REEES Academic Advisor and 40% effort to complete the responsibilities of the ASEEES Program Coordinator and NewsNet Editor. The employee will report to the REEES Associate Director and the ASEEES Executive Director.
To receive full consideration, applicants should submit documents by October 12, 2018 via https://www.pittsource.com/postings/166654.