The University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) is seeking two Resident Assistants to join their 3rd annual STARTALK Russian language program. The program is a residential 4-week intensive Russian language and culture for high school students, which will take place this summer from June 16 – July 15 on Pitt’s main campus in the Oakland neighborhood. In addition to providing students with Russian language and cultural training, the program seeks to provide students with the opportunity to experience a “college-like” program. The program is cost-free to the student participants.
Resident Assistants will be required to do the following:
- Obtain child abuse and criminal history clearances
- Help to maintain a Russian-only language environment
- Live in the dormitory with the high school students attending the program to ensure continuous adult supervision for the duration of the program and maintain a positive and safe environment
- Join students at all meals
- Provide classroom and other support to the program instructors as needed
- Provide tutoring and lead study groups and Russian conversation practice sessions with the students
- Assist the program instructors with organizing and chaperoning cultural and co-curricular activities for the students, including several field trips
- Organize evening and weekend activities in the dormitory that are connected with the program theme of “Скоро в Россию!”
- Attend a two-day training workshop at Pitt with the University of Pittsburgh STARTALK program director, Dawn Seckler, and instructors immediately before the start of the program and attend all staff meetings held during the program. For this, you must arrive to the Pitt campus by Friday, June 16, as our first meeting will the morning of Saturday, June 17, 2017.
The position is very challenging. The successful candidate will be supremely responsible, high-energy, able to work in a team, unfailingly kind, and ready to help. Compensation for the Residential Assistants will be $2,000; dormitory accommodations and a meal plan for the duration of the program will also be provided.
Interested candidates should send a resume, a short cover-letter detailing past relevant experience, and contact information for two references (preferably a Russian professor and a past employer) to Dawn Seckler at email@example.com by March 30, 2017.