Undergraduate Certificate in REECAS
The Undergraduate Certificate in Russian, East European, and Central Asian Studies (REECAS) allows students to gain knowledge of the societies and cultures of the region, drawing on many disciplines, including film studies, geography, history, literature, political science, sociology, theater and drama. The REECAS certificate can be a valuable addition to any major and demonstrates sustained interest and expertise in the region. Although at least two years of language study is strongly advised, there is no language requirement and language courses do not count towards the REECAS certificate.
- Fulfill the requirements for a B.S. or B.A. degree in an established major in a school or college of the university.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 in all courses taken for the certificate.
- Successfully complete seven REECAS-related courses* as follows:
- One interdisciplinary survey course (Group I). Please note that Group I courses are typically only offered in the spring.
- Three courses in history and the social sciences in at least two different departments (Group II).
- Three courses in literature and the arts (Group III).
- Complete a certificate declaration form with the certificate advisor in 331 Ingraham Hall.
Students are encouraged to consult with the certificate advisor and declare the certificate early on in their college careers in order to select an academically focused group of courses.
* For courses to count towards the REECAS certificate, at least 25% of the content must be related to the regions of Eastern and Central Europe, Russia, Eurasia, and/or Central Asia. For pre-approved courses, check out the undergraduate course list to the right.
How to Declare
Meet with the REECAS certificate advisor and complete a declaration form. To schedule an appointment, contact Csanád Siklós at email@example.com or by phone 608-262-5006. Walk-in advising hours for REECAS students are Tuesdays, 9 a.m.-12 p.m, in 331 Ingraham Hall.